TeachersFirst's Middle School Brain Twisters
Week of November 16, 2017
1.Sam's mother brought a large box of cupcakes to school for his birthday. Half were vanilla; the rest were chocolate. His class ate 2/3 of the chocolate ones, and all but one of the vanilla ones. Sam gave half of the remaining chocolate cupcakes to the office staff, and ate the vanilla one himself. He took the remaining 3 home. How many were in the box to start with?
2.Which event offers a good indicator of consumer confidence?
- The Winter Solstice
- The first Monday in October
- The New Hampshire primary
- Black Friday
- The Iowa Caucus
3.Which sentence is correct?
- My older brothers left us use their brand new football.
- It was a great Saturday for Morgan and I.
- My younger brothers enjoyed playing with the football too.
- When it got dark, we put the football back on it's shelf in the garage.
- While Mom and Dad watched the college games on TV, we past in the park.
4.Isis (Isil) is
- An organization to promote wise TV viewing
- A large marine mammal
- A group that runs the government of Iran
- An Islamic mosque in New York
- A group that is an extremist group mainly composed of Sunni Arabs from Iraq and Syria
5.Which pair is not correct?
- Coliseum - Pisa
- Louvre - Paris
- Parthenon - Athens
- Pentagon - Washington
- Vatican - Rome
6.During World War II, rationing in the United States included
- Newspapers, chocolate, and disks
- Glass, plastic, and newspapers
- Gasoline, film, and shoes
- Water, sugar, and flour
- Sugar, gasoline, and meat
7.At the time of the American Revolution, who wrote the pamphlet, "Common Sense?"
- John Adams
- Ben Franklin
- Thomas Paine
- Thomas Jefferson
- George Washington
8.The sum of the squares of three consecutive integers is 509. What is the largest of the integers?
9.Which pair is a correct match of ailment and body part?
- cirrhosis - liver
- arthritis - throat
- amblyopia- foot
- otitis media - elbow
- pediculosis - toenail
10.Which combination will hold the most pictures from Elvis' new digital camera?
- Two 128 Mb memory cards
- Eight 64 Mb and two 128 Mb cards
- One 1 Gb card and one 8 Mb card
- Five 64 Mb memory cards
- Three 32 Mb and four 127 Mb memory cards
© 2006-2017 by The Source for Learning, Inc. All rights reserved.