TeachersFirst's Middle School Brain Twisters
Week of October 19, 2016
1.If you flew directly from Miami Dade County to Mount Rainier, what direction would you be flying?
2.Which is the best deal for an item originally priced at $100?
- 50% off and a $5.00 rebate
- 30% off and an additional 30% off
- 40% off and an additional 15% off
- Buy one get one free
- $35 off
3.Keshawn's mother brought a large box of cupcakes to school for his birthday. Half were vanilla; the rest were chocolate. His class ate 2/3 of the chocolate ones, and all but one of the vanilla ones. Keshawn gave half of the remaining chocolate cupcakes to the office staff, and ate the vanilla one himself. He took the remaining 3 home. How many were in the box to start with?
4.Which is the middle value from this list?
- The number of states that border Canada plus the number of states that border Mexico.
- The number of years of bad luck superstition associates with breaking a mirror and the number of New England states.
- The number of Wonders of the Ancient World plus the number of hooves hitched at one time in a famous St-Louis-based Clydesdale team.
- The number of years since Neil Armstrong's famous walk minus the number of justices on the Supreme Court.
- The number of senators from Hawaii plus the number of years Jimmy Carter was in office.
5."Patty pununified the pavish pancakes porpelly inside the perdy pratrub." - In this sentence, context clues tell you parts of speech. Which pair below is wrong?
- Pratrub - noun
- Perdy - adjective
- Pavish - adjective
- Pununified - verb
- Porpelly - adjective
6.The continental divide separates:
- the north from the south
- the Rocky Mountains from the Appalachian Mountains
- the U.S. and Canada
- watersheds that flow to the Atlantic from those that flow to the Pacific
- the great plains from the mountains
7.When comparing two products, which information is most helpful in choosing the best buy?
- net weight
- package price
- grams of fat
- serving size
- unit price
8.This man-made body of water links the Mediterranean with the Persian gulf.
- The Suez Canal
- The Bay of Biscay
- The Gaza strip
- The Strait of Hormuz
- The Panama Canal
9.The phrase, "Fate reared its ugly head." uses what literary device?
10.Which state was not a destination during the gold and silver mining rushes of the 1800s?
© 2006-2016 by The Source for Learning, Inc. All rights reserved.