TeachersFirst's Middle School Brain Twisters
Week of June 29, 2022
1.Shantu's International Solar Heating installs fixed solar panels on homes for energy self-sufficiency. Which installation was a mistake by Shantu's crew?
- Cairo, Egypt: panels facing due south
- Trenton, NJ: panels facing due south
- Caracas, Venezuela: panels facing due south
- Santiago, Chile: panels facing due north
- Taipei, Taiwan: panels facing due north
2.A school bus begins its route headed due north. Along the way it makes two 90 degree left turns, followed by a 45 degree right turn. It winds along a creek in the same direction, then takes a 90 degree right turn into the school driveway. In which direction is the bus headed?
3.This month, which of the following is true:
- Southern hemisphere nights and northern hemisphere nights are staying the same.
- Northern hemisphere nights are getting shorter and southern hemisphere nights are getting longer.
- Northern hemisphere days are getting shorter and southern hemisphere nights are getting longer.
- Southern hemisphere days are getting shorter and northern hemisphere nights are getting longer.
- Northern hemisphere nights are getting longer and southern hemisphere days are getting longer
4.Which would not be a "domestic" itinerary?
- Chicago to Fort Lauderdale
- Atlanta to Las Vegas
- Los Angeles to San Diego
- San Francisco to Anchorage
- Toronto to Detroit
5.Canada and the U.S. each have the same number of time zones. Which zones do they not have in common?
- Yukon and Atlantic time zones
- Newfoundland and Hawaii-Aleutian time zones
- Atlantic, Newfoundland, and Hawaii-Aleutian time zones
- Atlantic and Alaska time zones
- Newfoundland and Alaska time zones
6.In this sequence: January 5, February 9, March 13...what would the sixth element in the series be?
- July 29
- June 25
- April 16
- August 1
- May 20
7.Which of these sentences is grammatically correct?
- Him and me haven't eaten anything all day.
- Susan, Mary, and Jane has all gone camping.
- None of us likes doing homework.
- Susan, John, and myself are staying for dinner.
- Fred done his homework before playing Play Station.
8.If a lemonade recipe calls for 1/4 cup of lemon juice per quart of water, how much lemon juice will you need to make a batch that uses two and a half gallons of water?
- 2.5 cups
- 1.5 pints
- 2 pints
- 1 quart
- 3 cups
9.Which word in this sentence is a preposition:
As long as it's this hot, I will keep a water bottle carefully tucked inside my backpack.
10.The process by which exposure to the air corrodes metal is called:
© 2006-2022 by The Source for Learning, Inc. All rights reserved.