Glass Fragment Lab Handout
In this lab, you will be required to note physical characteristics
of individual glass fragments as well as determine their density. For
each glass fragment, try to use a descriptive physical property that will
distinguish one fragment from the next (for example, color).
In order to determine the density (d = m/v), use the
Fill out the chart with your observations.
Answer the following questions:
1. List three methods used by forensic scientists to analyze glass fragments. (3 pts)
3. What chemicals are used to make glass? (1 pt.)
4. Where would a crime scene technician look for glass fragments? (1 pt.)
5. Describe the glass making process. What changes in this process result in the difference between windows and tempered glass? (2 pts.)
6. Why is laminated glass used for the windshields of vehicles? (1 pt.)